Pages

Monday 15 September 2014

Round the World Blog Hop

I was asked by the lovely Margreth from Quiltstudio 22 to join the "Round the World Blog Hop" and I thought why not?  I love the idea of getting to know more about one quilter to another other than their beautiful quilts they make.

1) What am I working on?

Currently I have been working on my English paper piecing Star quilt that I started about 2 years ago.  It's a very long on going project but one that I enjoy working on when I don't feel like sitting in front of the sewing machine.  It is also a great way to use up scraps and play with different prints, colours and fabrics with abandon inhibition.

English Paper Piecing

2) How does my work differ from other its genre?

Having only started getting into quilting three years ago, it's hard to define how my work differs from others.  I am still in the process of discovering what my 'signature' is.  However...

I do love simple geometry type quilts as I feel it makes a lovely interesting play of fabric and in my opinion by far the best way to showcase the fabric.  For example this simple Half Squared Triangle Baby Quilt,  Snowball Baby Quilt and Madeleine's Quilt

Bind quilts

Bind quilts

Bind Quilts

I am starting to love using print on print fabrics as I feel it gives a simple block an interesting story to tell.  For example this Economy Baby Quilt 

Bind Quilts

I also do love working with colours.  I think colours whether bold or subtle would be one thing that I enjoy playing with the most.  For example Pinkylicious Wunderland Quilt and Summer Love Quilt

Bind Quilts

Bind Quilts

Last but not least, I do love hand stitching.  Even though it's a long process, I find that by adding some hand stitching, it adds another dimension and texture to the quilt top.  Here is an example of a hand quilted baby quilt for Olivia

Bind Quilts

3) How do I write/create what I do?

For me quilting is a hobby that I enjoy very much.  It is sort of my relaxation time when I am not studying and working full-time.  It is also a great a way for me express myself creatively.  


I draw countless of inspiration from Instagram and the quilting community on Instagram.  I also draw my creativity from nature, images, prints and colours.  In addition, commission quilts allows me the opportunity to explore with the client they types of prints, colourway, pattern and style which allows me to be adventures and suggest styles that both the client and I could potentially explore.

4) How does my writing/creative process work?

My creative process starts from either a fabric collection, a pattern I see online, objects, patterns and colours around me or inspirations from other quilters.  Then I would start drafting the pattern on Auto Cad, playing with the block to create a design that I would resonate with.  After that I would add in colours from the fabric that I intend to use it with.  It helps in visualising how the fabrics would talk to each other together with the intended block.  

Bind Quilts
Bind Quilts

When I am satisfied with the design, I will tend start on calculating how much fabric I would need and cutting measurements.  When all that is done, the fun part begins when I cut into the fabric and start assembling the the quilt top together.  Here is an example of the creative process I go through to the end product for Under the Sea Quilt

Bind Quilts

I hope you have enjoyed reading a little about my creative process and where is all comes from. 

The next person that I would love to continue the link to the blog hop is Mary from Molly Flanders Makerie.  Mary is an amazing talented quilter.  She inspirational, always generous with sharing her skills and her contribution to the quilting community is one to treasure.

Thank you for stopping by and giving me your time to read this "Round the World Blog Hop."

Jacqueline
xx

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I am impressed that you just started quilting three short years ago! You certainly settled in nicely! And the fact that you can use a CAD program -let alone design quilts on it, is amazing!!!! Thanks for sharing your quilts and process! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed! You have given me an amazing time looking at your quilts. Great work!

    ReplyDelete