Pages

Thursday 30 May 2013

Stripey

I have always find making a baby boy's quilt a little challenging.  Not because I am bias to a particular gender but what I struggle with is the fabric selections.  I wasn't particular drawn to animals, rockets, dinosaurs or cowboy prints.  What I wanted was a quilt that had a bit more millage that could see the use of it from new born to say 10-11 years old. I also wanted something modern for this quilt.

Hourglass stripe quilt
So I thought... what would be suitable for a baby boy's quilt?  In came in stripes! I thought it would be suitable for 1) a boy's quilt 2) modern 3) millage.

I have decided on a simple hourglass design to express a modern feel to the quilt, and I was also pressed for time as I had to get this done before 2nd semester of school starts next week - Bo!

Bind quilts

Any how, I am very happy with the outcome of the quilt.  By adding some blue clown stripe fabrics from Michael Miller combined with the fat quarter bundle of the colourful stripes and white solid fabric has made this quilt simple, modern and suitable for a boy.

Bind quilts

I have opt for a simple grey solid backing from Kona called 'Iron' and added a boarder of the quilt design vertically to give the backing some detail.  I have machine quilted this quilt with simple horizontal and vertical lines, about an inch spacing in between seams.

Bind quilts

I must admit that my lines are a little wonky and not completely dead straight but I hope with lots of quilting practice in years to come, I would master it a wee bit.

Bind quilts

This quilt is making its way to London as present for a dear friend who is expecting her second child.  I hope she will love it and will keep the baby warm till he is too 'grown up' for it.

Quilt facts:
Size: Approximate 45" x 54"
Fabric: Stripe from a FQ bundle, Clown stripes in Aqua & Blue by Michael Miller, Solid White by Emma Louise; backing in Kona solid 'Iron'
Quilting: Machine quilted using Auril 40wt in White

8 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful quilt - I love the fabrics you used and they look like little bow ties so perfect for a boy. Oh and your quilting looks pretty great from here. A great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! That is a great quilt and love the stripes. Good call!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun boy quilt! I love the back too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore this quilt, especially the strip of blocks on the back. That's one fortunate baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fabulous quilt, Jacqueline. I think you accomplished the goal of baby-to-boy quilt quite nicely. I especially like the detail on the back. It's a perfect finish. If I had a baby boy I would love wrapping him up in this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this quilt is beautiful! Perfect for a boy. And don't worry about the "wonky"...a little wonkyness on a quilt adds character!

    ReplyDelete
  7. He is one lucky boy!! You can just feel the love that's gone into making this very special quilt!! It is simply gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete