Pages

Monday 1 October 2012

Love and Surrender


Saskia's Quilt



This quilt was made July 2012 for Saskia, the latest addition to the family.  I was very fortunate to have met this gorgeous girl on my recent trip to Auckland to catch up with the family.
This was a challenging quilt to make.  Not only did it had many different components to piece together, it also took a very long time to be hand quilted.  On top of it, I was (and still am) studying part-time, working full-time, and trying to have a work life/quilting balance.  All up, this quilt took me 4 months to finish as I could only worked on it a little at a time, and sometimes not at all having to juggle both exams and work. 


Quilting this quilt gave me a creative outlet from all the mental work and stress that goes with studies and work.  It gave me immense joy and satisfaction (often a therapy as well) to work with colorful fabrics, to piece different components together, and to see every stitch come together to form a completed quilt.


It was something I looked forward to do after working hours or a long study session on the weekend.  There was a 'soothing' presence about the feel of the fabric between my fingers, and the colors that saturated my eyes as I hand stitched the quilt together.  It made me felt that everything in life was going to be alright.


My family and friends called quilting a labor of love but to me quilting is an expression of love.  When you are in love with anything your heart desires, you surrender yourself into it with no reservation.  




"Surrender is faith that the power of Love can accomplish anything even when you cannot foresee the outcome" - Deepak Chopra


Quilt design: Jitterbug
Size: 56" x 72"
Fabric: Salt Air Jelly roll
Quilting: Hand quilted using DMC Perle 8 Blanc



No comments:

Post a Comment